Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Ghost of Shameless Self-Promotion

For someone who isn't writing nearly as many comic books these days as I would like to be, I find it somewhat amazing -- and frankly a little amusing -- that there doesn't seem to be a month gone by that there isn't something by me out there on the comic stands. This week, for example, I'm told that DC is releasing another one of its 80-page-giant Countdown specials, this one featuring Jack Kirby's brilliant OMAC, One Man Army Corps. One of the stories reprinted in this volume is an issue of DC Comics Presents that features a team-up between Omac and Superman, written by your humble blogger and illustrated by the incomparable George Perez. The story's called "The Once-and-Future War" and I recall it being a whole lot of fun. Pick it up if you have the chance. You won't be disappointed.

And while we're on the subject of stuff with me in it, you might also want to get your hands on the new DC Animated feature, Justice League: The New Frontier, just recently released on DVD by Warner Bros. It's based on the groundbreaking graphic novel by writer/artist Darwyn Cooke, and it's a knockout. There are a number of extra features on this two disk set, from audio commentaries by many of the film's creators, to detailed histories of the Justice League itself and the legendary Legion of Doom, featuring interviews with many of the industry's most prominent creators. That's where you'll find my smiling face, nattering on about all sorts of comics history, as well as those of such stalwarts as Paul Levitz, Stan Lee, Mark Waid, Mike Uslan, Denny O'Neil, Mike Friedrich, Marv Wolfman, and the proverbial host of others.

If you're interested in picking up a copy of New Frontier, might I suggest you click on the little link to the right and order it through Amazon.com? If you go through my link, Amazon will send me a few cents of what you spend, and that helps with the upkeep, such as it is, of this here blog. And not just this particular DVD, by the way. As I may have mentioned here before, anything at all you order through Amazon by going through my link, sends a little parking meter money my way. I note that a few of you Kind Readers have already taken advantage of this and I thank you more than I can easily say for the consideration.

Anyway, check out any or all of the above if you can and let me know what you think, okay? You know how lonely I get waiting to hear from you.

2 comments:

Jim McClain said...

Len, New Frontier will be released on February 26. It's not out yet.

Len Wein said...
This comment has been removed by the author.